Hydrelle: A Dermal Filler Combined With Anaesthetic

By  |  | Anti-Aging

Hydrelle is the latest dermal filler to be released into the aesthetics market. Hydrelle, developed by Anika Therapeutics, is a hyaluronic acid which can be used to treat facial wrinkles.

The makers of Hydrelle claim that the dermal filler injection is around half the size of a typcial filler injection. This means that fewer injections will be needed around a wrinkle site. Hydrelle is also the first dermal filler that combines hyaluronic acid with lidocaine anaesthetic meaning the injections are made less painful and the overall procedure is more comfortable for the patient.

The price tag for Hydrelle is also cheaper than other dermal filler alternatives therefore may be a good option for those looking for a cheaper alternative to fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane with results that last just as long, if not longer.

As with many other fillers, Hydrelle’s side effects can include swelling, redness, tenderness and bruising around the injection site.

Editor’s Note: Since publishing this article, there appears to be a lot of evidence that many women are experiencing severe side effects from their Hydrelle injections. We strongly recommend that anyone thinking of using this dermal filler does their research thoroughly before choosing what dermal filler to have.

1. Sharon

7th September 2013 at 2:58 PM

i was watching The Doctors TV show tis morning and they said if i went on this site then i could get a $200.00 off this procedure-hydrelle

2. marilyn

7th September 2013 at 3:37 PM

I went on the Drs. website but couldt not register. There ws no place to do that.

3. SimplyCosmeticSurgery

7th September 2013 at 3:51 PM

Sharon, marilyn:

Try this link:

The offer is limited to the first 1,000 patients only though, so be quick!

4. Betty McHugh

7th September 2013 at 5:21 PM

I went on line and got my $200.00 coupon for hydrelle…have used restaylane before

5. patricia mcguire

10th September 2013 at 2:28 PM

I would like to know more about using your own body fat as a facial filler injection.

6. Barbara

12th September 2013 at 1:55 PM

How do I receive the $200 discount for Hydrelle face filler? I saw this on the Doctors show this week.

7. katie

14th September 2013 at 12:37 AM

Pleae send me info. on price, where I can get the injections, city, town,> Is it available in Canada? or mail in info, to 486 Holtby Ave., Burlington,Ontario, LR7 2R3 Can Thankyou

8. Aysha

26th September 2013 at 5:10 PM

how can i know the name of the Doctor`s or the clinic that use the Hydrelle around the world .
    i`m from Kuwait and i need names there so mane doctors

9. jeannette

26th September 2013 at 6:54 PM

good question, is it available in Canada? well in Quebec, if not where in Florida to be precise in sarasota for i will be there this winter. if you found anything please e-mail. thank you jean

10. SimplyCosmeticSurgery

28th September 2013 at 9:39 AM

Have you tried e-mailing the company direct? They would probably be able to point you in the direction of licensed physicians? You can contact them here:

11. shelli

24th October 2013 at 1:18 PM

I had hydrelle injections two days ago. I love it. Still a small amount of swelling, but I am probably the only one who would notice.

12. Margot Estrin

29th October 2013 at 2:02 AM

I am concerned. I had HYDRELLE injections about 3 weeks ago and still have considerable swelling – bumps – below my lips on either side of my mouth. Please tell me what can be done about this and where I can find doctor in the NY area who can fix this problem. Thank you for any information.

13. Shelley

7th November 2013 at 1:38 AM

I hydrelle injections today. OUCH. I am swollen and bumpy. There some black and clue as well. I have a big family function next weekend. Any recommendations on what can be done to speed up the recovery process?

14. Hydrelle Complications

29th December 2013 at 5:45 AM

There have apparently been lots of Hydrelle complications, infections, granulomas and scars throughout the country. Some of the top plastic surgeons are having serious complications with Hydrelle. Check out Dr. Naderi’s website. He has written a lot about Hydrelle and its issues.

15. Lori Miller

8th January 2014 at 1:15 AM

I just had Hydrelle done an am feeling very sick since the treatment, with flu like symptons. Also, have develped sores around my mouth. Will never use this filler again. Am very concerned with the way I am feeling.

16. SCS

8th January 2014 at 11:27 AM

Hi Lori, We suggest if you are feeling very ill that you either go back to the clinic where you had the injections or go see another Doctor, just to be on the sage side. We hope you feel better soon.

17. Dr. Joseph A.

18th January 2014 at 3:36 PM

Stay away from this product. Side effects can be serious. I have obersved several patients treated with this substance, many of whom have experienced the formation of grandulomas and some scaring. AVOID.

18. OHMD

27th January 2014 at 3:03 PM

Remember this product went by the name Elevess, before being “rebranded” as Hydrelle. I would do some investigating of that products history before any treatment.

19. Shelley

4th March 2014 at 11:10 PM

20. Anna

6th March 2014 at 1:54 AM

I used Hydrelle.
    Don’t do it.
    I had very bad complications,my lips got swollen 10 times the size.
    The rest of my face also swol up.
    I’m the day after now and I hope it will be allright.
    For now I cant go on the street,it looks really bad.
    I hope i don’t get any of the other complications.

21. KV

26th March 2014 at 2:05 AM

DON’T USE HYDRELLE. Being a victim of this product, it has produced not only swollen disfigured lips but now hard lumps are forming where the product was injected. In speaking with the distributer, Coapt, they are (to paraphrase) unconcerned because there are so little of us who are having complications. My view is that one report is too many….Word of warning —- don’t have this product injected…..

22. JR

2nd April 2014 at 7:55 PM

DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! I had it injected into my upper lip over a month ago – taking steroids and antibiotics and I don’t think the worse part is even over. Nothing has seemed to stop the extreme swelling of my lip that is at least 3 times it’s natural size. I can barely eat or talk, not to mention the constant PAIN! I have used other fillers in the past with zero problems. Hydrelle is inferior and UNSAFE. This product should be pulled!!! When will this nightmare end?!

23. JR

4th April 2014 at 10:33 PM

… Just had to have my lip drained from all the swelling. My nasal cavities and eyes were swelling up, my cheeks were red, my lip is 3x it’s normal size with huge ugly lumps that hurt like hell… all from simple lip injections. Even after the dr had to take a syringe to pull out some of the liquid and product in my lip, the next morning the reaction came back worse than before. 4 weeks into it now with no end in sight. NIGHTMARE!

24. Judeth

2nd May 2014 at 5:06 AM

Have used Hydrell several times in the past with no complications. My last injection was over a month ago. 3 dys ago I started experiencing redness, edema and pain to the left upper lip. My surgeon placed me on steroids and antibiotic at which it’s to soon to notice a difference. I have use other fillers in the past 7 yrs with no complications. I will never use Hydrell again!!!

25. CC

2nd May 2014 at 11:58 PM

Had Hydrelle injected into my lips o the advice of my Dr. Just read it shouldn’t be injected into lips. Why? I had extreme swelling the first 24 hours ( I thought my lip would explode. It was huge!) It’s been 10 days and now I like the way it looks ( people keep commenting that I look good and want to know what I did). However, I have concerns after reading side effects. I have what I thought was a pimple developing on my chin and it’s unusually painful. That and I don’t get acne (I’m 49). Should I worry?

26. CC

17th May 2014 at 12:32 AM

Follow up. The lump grew larger and appeared to be a boil, but cleared on its own in a little over a week. My lips are swelling again with one side worse than the other, and I now have hard painful lumps. I hate the way they feel. Never again. Is there a safe way to dissolve Hydrelle?

27. Anna PA-C,MPAS

19th June 2014 at 7:31 PM

I am also a medical professional that has been using hydrelle.
    Basically, an allergy test should always be performed if there are any doubts as to how you may react to the product.
    I have yet to encounter any problems clinically but I do know they exist. If we take a look at medications in general whether they be antibiotics, cosmetics, cosmetic fillers- or even vaccinations there is no one treatment that works for everyone universally.
    As a preliminary step to the procedure you should have been educated and signed a waiver as to possible side effects.
    For those of you who had a bad experience, I empathize. There is an enzyme called hyaluronidase that can degrade a bad HA filler however if used in excess it may also break down your own HA.
    Nothing is risk free in the world of aesthetics.
    Best of luck

28. Agnes

25th June 2014 at 8:09 PM

I too am suffering from large, painful, red granulomas at the injection sites on my face which began about two weeks after mthe injections. I am being treated with steriod creams, antibiotics, and antiinflamatories pills, all to no avail. The representatives at Coapt have not returned any of my calls.

29. K.L.

27th July 2014 at 6:30 PM

Add me to the list! Was injected on June 21st and right on time (4-6 weeks), I have developed a huge bulge on the left side of my upper lip. I now look like I belong in Whoville. Went to the dr today and we are going to try a course of steroids to see if that helps. The dr said she had not seen this complication and was pulling all her Hydrelle from stock. She took pics and said she is filling a report with the FDA. I wonder what they are using as a stabilizer in this product?

30. Dermal Fillers Melbourne

29th March 2015 at 8:12 PM

agree! I also have a friend who got Hydrelle and she got a lot of side effects like swelling, redness and she experienced facial pain.

31. Bruce Hansen

3rd May 2015 at 1:09 AM

Dermal filler would be sufficient to treat the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, as well as improve lip volume. Dermal Fillers are very useful in this situation as they can be injected into the area of skin beneath the fold, to fill the groove in, from beneath.